Question: Synopses

New look at "comps"

Feedback form the Chelsea Novel judges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2017
Lodeve, France
I was just wondering whether the synopsis has to follow the exact order of chapters. What I mean is: In this story, Ink Slip, a historical time slip, my first chapter is set in the present. But in the first paragraph of the synopsis I wanted to show the wider context. I'm not being very clear but these are the opening sentences. Do you think it matters that the historical part (Hungarian revolution) starts in chapter 2?

Hungary 1849, the Magyar Revolution is already failing. Jolana follows her husband, Gustavus Zerffi, into exile. As she travels through the territory of the Austro-Hungarian Empire alone, she finds herself at the mercy of unscrupulous strangers.

More than a hundred and sixty years later in England, Jolana’s descendant, Maya, returns home to clear her deceased grandmother’s house. In a trunk in the attic, she finds Jolana’s diary which catapults her into the past.
Thanks

hmm, i don't think it has to. i recently read a wonderful novel in which the first chapter began in the middle of the action (or rather, the aftermath of it), while the book blurb gave information/exposition on the events beforehand. i know the book blurb is different from the synopsis, but neither of them necessarily have to start in the same place the book itself does. hope this helps!

Hungary 1849, the Magyar Revolution is already failing. Jolana follows her husband, Gustavus Zerffi, into exile. As she travels through the territory of the Austro-Hungarian Empire alone, she finds herself at the mercy of unscrupulous strangers.

More than a hundred and sixty years later in England, Jolana’s descendant, Maya, returns home to clear her deceased grandmother’s house. In a trunk in the attic, she finds Jolana’s diary which catapults her into the past.
I think this works, just like this. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New look at "comps"

Feedback form the Chelsea Novel judges

Back