Litopia

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pop-Up Submissions, 8th July

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
LV

Fantasy from Claire, Adult Science Fiction from Tyler, Adult humour from Bob, a Thriller from Richard, Womens Fiction from Helen, Dark Fantasy from Amber, Mystery from Stephanie, another Mystery from John and... a Dystopian Romance from the inimitable Kirsten! Such a deal!

Allan Hunter

Basic
LV

Watching some old ones, catching up and getting a sense of the pop-up room. I have to say, the women's fiction from Helen was by a substantial margin the one I would have most wanted to pick up and read. The prologue that everyone took such a dislike to reminded me quite a bit of the opening of Dorothy Gilman's The Tightrope Walker, one of my favorite books. (Hmm, should have listed it in my profile, I guess!)

Katie-Ellen

LV

Awards
Yes, it's tough. Taste is a massive consideration, as well as perceived readiness for market. There will rarely be consensus in this exercise.
@AgentPete is at pains to point out the inescapable subjectivity of the process, whichever agent a writer approaches.

Disagreement and dissent is welcome...the final word is Peter's; and this for the writer is largely the point of the sub, and very brave of them too, but the writer might of course still place it elsewhere. l hope you can join us in the chat room later over on Discord.

Last edited:

Allan Hunter

Basic
LV

I'll try! It's 2 PM my time and I'm due at a soiree in the evening for which I've been tagged with the task of making homemade ice cream. I got as far as installing the disphoria app. Discordia? Discordia. Disphoria's a different thingie. Anyway, I think it's brave of the lit agents to do this and put themselves visible for having their process picked at, and I greatly appreciate them doing so. (And it's quite fun to watch)

Katie-Ellen

LV

Awards
Yes, it is brave of Peter :) Not everyone responds with grace. But most do. Publisher guests also coming on board soon.