• Welcome, visitor! Litopia is the oldest & friendliest community for writers on the net. If you are serious about your writing, we cordially invite you to join us.
  • This Saturday... Join Peter & Litopians for Pop-Up Catch-Ups... Info here...

Pop-Up Submissions, 22nd April

MrDisco88

Basic
I know what you mean, It would be quite a gimmick, but it seems a bit defeatist to me. Why write something and then not let the readers read it?
Well I was thinking along the lines of writing some kind of thriller, and (initially) withholding key information from the reader with "redacted" text. It would just be a different way of building suspense and controlling the narrative. I don't know, I haven't thought it through, maybe it's an unworkable idea!

Tim James

Basic
Well I was thinking along the lines of writing some kind of thriller, and (initially) withholding key information from the reader with "redacted" text. It would just be a different way of building suspense and controlling the narrative. I don't know, I haven't thought it through, maybe it's an unworkable idea!
What you are describing actually sounds quite good in that context. I think that might work quite well.

I enjoyed this weeks pop-ups. Definitely something I would have benefited from many years ago. Reflective feedback on the work of others can be translated instantly into personal learning... I am beginning to see the more obvious mistakes in my own work simply by having the obvious pointed out... probably for the first time ever.

Based on what I've learned so far, I've totally re-written the opening of my WIP. I do find openings the hardest part to get right.

Interaction from the chat room is often off-subject, but maybe that's not such a bad thing? As writers we are isolated, and it's nice to be a little self indulgent with others of a similar mind-set (presumably). If it became too formal it would possibly lose its attraction. And sometimes there are insightful comments that add to the whole experience. Also, perhaps Pete needs to know there is someone out there (in a sonorous voice echoing offstage....).

How about Story Board instead of chat room? Boring and conventional as I am....

AngryPI

Basic
"The Vox-Pop-Up Room" A play on vox-pop: the voice of the people.

"The Writer's Response Unit"

"The Commenter's Cavern/Chasm" A place where you can easily get lost.

"The Critic's Safe-Space" or just "The Safe-Space--don't be afraid to cry."

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Staff member
Guardian
The Sounding Board / Sounding Box is definitely neat, and clever; The Snake Pit is very edgy and memorable in the way you want a book title to be distinctive and memorable… I’ll happily go with that, unless any more bidders…?

Barbara

Staff member
Guardian
The Sounding Board / Sounding Box is definitely neat, and clever; The Snake Pit is very edgy and memorable in the way you want a book title to be distinctive and memorable… I’ll happily go with that, unless any more bidders…?
@AgentPete . Just one thought about the Snake Pit. As much as I like it, I do wonder if it conjures up a slightly tough 'chat room' where work is eyed up in a critical way? The tough guys in the background. A bit like Dragon's Den, where business people are scrutinised. I don't want to be a party pooper here, but I felt I ought to throw this into the mix. Yes, Snake Pit is fun, memorable, and it is actually my fave, but maybe The Sounding Board or Sounding Box sound more welcoming?

Or add a diffusing word to the Snake Pit: The Wise Snake Pit, or something. 'Friendly' is what Rich suggested initially. I think something like that would still work.

Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited:

RainbowAlix

Heath Club Czar
'The Mute Room' - Use as a antipode
'The Dramatist' or 'The Dramatist Room'
'The Critic Room' - 'The Critic Space' - 'Speaker's Corner' - 'Critic Corner' - 'Critic's Pen'
'The Space Of The Scholiast'
'Nib and Natter'
'The Nib and Natter Room'
'Nib & Natter Room'
As in Nib for Pete's pen because he writes notes on the subs.
Natter because he talks about them and so do we, most of the time lol
Just a suggestion :)
I thought of Pens and Parental Guidance too, after our last POP-UPS :p

Last edited:

Patricia D

I like Back Room Live. It's funny how terms have different connotations. To me, back-up means going backwards, usually in a car but you can walk backwards too. Second it refers to supporting someone - you have their back. Third is making a copy of an electronic file. Many meanings, but I never thought of anything digestive.