• Welcome, visitor! Litopia is the oldest & friendliest community for writers on the net. If you are serious about your writing, we cordially invite you to join us.

Pop-Up Submissions, 22nd April

Dug Up...I did think it was a promising beginning. I missed the first 3 minutes last night. The title's got that double meaning going on, I thought it was quite good but could be stronger.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Staff member
Dug Up...I did think it was a promising beginning. I missed the first 3 minutes last night. The title's got that double meaning going on, I thought it was quite good but could be stronger.
Agree with that. I suspect it's been through the wringer in terms of writing groups, etc.

Geoff

Unfortunately missed yesterday's submissions, but will catch up. Did something happen in the chat room? I see it is on notice, or have I misunderstood?

Tim James

Basic
Unfortunately missed yesterday's submissions, but will catch up. Did something happen in the chat room? I see it is on notice, or have I misunderstood?
I think they are asking us to be careful what what we type in the Discord chat room as @AgentPete has developed a habit of putting it up live on the screen and therefore it can later be read here (and elsewhere). A modicum of self control is therefore asked for from the participants.

Yes and no. Nothing so strong as that. No rebuke :) Chat room was visible at times yesterday so people over on FB could see it...and the chat was not always, ahem, directly on topic vis a vis the submission under review. Colourful though, hehehe...

From what I've seen, (three weeks so far), that seems to happen quite often. Very funny some if it, but not very on topic.

It wasn't always like it is at present. It's very much an evolving entity, and by and large, I think it's excellent. But maybe just sometimes it runs away with itself and Litopians on Discord, I include myself, could really fuel up the Pop-Ups, and keep the feed easier to read and follow by staying more on topic...

Tim James

Basic
Personally, I quite enjoy the banter, but like @Katie-Ellen Hazeldine says, perhaps a little more focus on the submissions would be good.
I should imagine that it might be a little disappointing for the submitter if the "panel" is not really giving much feedback on their submission.

AngryPI

Basic
I found the open perspective of our female members, delightful, informative and highly amusing. If chatrooms could blush, the whole affair would have me crying in my seat. And though a varied response from the chatroom can help the author's submission critiquing; Agent Pete's analysis is what I would be focusing on mostly.

So, as others have pretty much said--game faces on, but enjoy yourselves.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Staff member
The “chat room” (needs a better name, i think... suggestions?) is simply too good to ignore. Frequently hilarious, often perceptive. What you’re getting with Pop-Ups is a slice thru my mind as I evaluate subs, hopefully useful, and it definitely isn’t trial-by-chat room. But increasingly, I use it as a resource, especially in terms of positioning a submission, in the same way as you might call over a busy office, “what was that thing by Murakami about jellyfish?” Fabulous resource, actually :)

RainbowAlix

Heath Club Czar
So It's a Naming Game.
This sounds like fun.
So @AgentPete are you up for suggestions?
If I so, I shall put my thinking cap on :)
A name that sums up the whole chat-room?
Both professionally and for its improper banter? :p
I will never think about Finding Nemo in the same way again, LOL, thanks @Carol Rose

MrDisco88

Basic
I missed it on Sunday (was at the FA Cup semi-final, my team lost, so Pop-Ups would have been more enjoyable and cheaper form of entertainment), but caught up yesterday. Does anyone know of an author who has used redacted text in a published novel? Could actually be a very powerful technique if done in the right way!

Tim James

Basic
Does anyone know of an author who has used redacted text in a published novel? Could actually be a very powerful technique if done in the right way!
I know what you mean, It would be quite a gimmick, but it seems a bit defeatist to me. Why write something and then not let the readers read it?