How to not critique voice

FAKE!

Colin Farrell supports WGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
It's something I'm becoming more and more aware of. Voice in its early stage may be sotto. It's easy to overlook or overpower it when doing an editor side of the brain critique. Now I'm trying to make clear only this structural bit is problematic when building story.348853056_738035121655480_8831646423652564679_n.jpg In photography we call it masking. Covering the bit we dont want changed while we fix the rest.

I find the battle between keeping my voice and writing correctly to be a perpetual struggle. Sometimes, I break rules on purpose for effect and it immediately gets picked up on by those kind enough to critique the work. Then I'm torn between fixing it so that it's "correct" and keeping it, because it's how I want the sentence to feel.

I read the fix-its, let them sink in then go back to them when I've read an untouched (by others) chunk. If I feel, but that's not what X would say/would think, I ignore the fix-it. The voice is much more important than the correctness of the English. One reason why I stopped using Grammarly pretty soon after I'd given it a go.

I find the battle between keeping my voice and writing correctly to be a perpetual struggle. Sometimes, I break rules on purpose for effect and it immediately gets picked up on by those kind enough to critique the work. Then I'm torn between fixing it so that it's "correct" and keeping it, because it's how I want the sentence to feel.

I struggle through this all the time too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAKE!

Colin Farrell supports WGA

Back