Litopia

We’re delighted you’re here! You’re just a few clicks away from joining the ‘net’s oldest community for writers… and certainly the friendliest. Click the “Register” button to create a free account. See you in the Colony!

• Clichés & Tropes! Can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em! Share your opinion in the latest Craft Chat, live now until Saturday

Advice?

13 newbie writer mistakes to avoid

Top 10 Query tips

CageSage

Basic
LV

This morning I heard the best advice about the advice others offer:
From Michael Caine:

I don't give advice, because all the advice I got from the old-timers was to give it up. So I don't give advice, because that's advice I don't take.

Now, I may be paraphrasing, but the gist is there. I agree with him. All the advice I got when young and aspiring 'to be a writer' was to give up. Now, I say to those naysayers: I'll show you, and you'll be proved wrong.

And there is the nub of the message: regardless of what anyone else says, if you give up it's because you didn't want it enough. If you do want it enough, you get your back up, grow leather skin, and set out to prove them wrong.

I love that. Go ahead, prove them all wrong.

Katie-Ellen

LV

Awards
If you want to do it, and you're doing it for its own sake, no fear or favour, you will, regardless. You might lose interest at some point and that's fine. You decided for yourself.

13 newbie writer mistakes to avoid

Top 10 Query tips