New to the Fold...

What Digital Apocalype? Why Print Isn't Dead...

A query about Beta Reader requesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are fabulous, but one is slightly better than the other.... There is a correct answer here.
I disagree. It's a matter of the individuals tastes. Don't get me wrong. I love "Star Trek" and "Star Wars", along with just about everything sci-fi. But things like "The Matrix", "Doctor Who", "Hitchhiker's Guide"(the BBC version or the book, not that recent monstrosity of a movie) all appeal to something different. Heinlein vs Asimov vs Herbert vs Scalzi. Each has there appeals.

Note: The wife won't let me watch "Hitchhiker's" when she is home...along with a host of others.

We haven't been able to find anything past season 2 of Babylon 5, so that's as far as I've watched, but the hubster has seen them all. Firefly is more my style.

I have all seasons of both of those, along with a bunch more.

Holy crap I didn't even see yours Nicole! I left the page sitting open — I've been doing my afternoon shipping. (SHIP. I said SHIP, damn you.)
Lol uh huh, sure. That's more information than we need to know.

But Firefly fans are awesome, and we're awesome (obviously) so it makes sense that we'd think of it at the same time.

Star Wars...search your feelings, you know it to be true...
Correct! Though hubster would disagree. He hadn't even seen the movies when I met him:eek:

Correct! Though hubster would disagree. He hadn't even seen the movies when I met him:eek:

Did you make him watch them in the Machete order? I just recently heard about that and think it's probably the best way to see the movies (it removes Episode I completely). Personally, I like Star Trek, but I LOVE Star Wars...so so much...

REMOVES EPISODE 1??? I love episode 1! No, we watched it in chronological order (1-6), because I hadn't seen them chronologically before and he didn't particularly care.

Really? I never really cared for it, personally. Haven't seen any of the prequel movies in years. Aside from the original trilogy, I've spent lots of time in the Expanded Universe (books) and with the video games/table top stuff.

REMOVES EPISODE 1??? I love episode 1! No, we watched it in chronological order (1-6), because I hadn't seen them chronologically before and he didn't particularly care.

I guess it is my OCD, but I have to watch them in order (1-6). Just finished watching 3 a few days ago.

Yeah it is! For me, it gives me the context for what I know is coming in episodes 4, 5, 6.

You should really check out the Machete order of the films. It puts a very unique spin on the way the story is told. Basically, you watch them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI. In this order, you get to work your way up to the big reveal in Empire, then get a long flashback detailing the history of everything that came before. Then, you wrap things up with Jedi. There are lots of reasons why Episode I is left out of the mix, but all the explanations about why this order works so well are fascinating!

I'm pretty sure this is the blog where the suggestion for the Meachete order originally was posted: http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Check it out...really good read!

Really? I never really cared for it, personally. Haven't seen any of the prequel movies in years. Aside from the original trilogy, I've spent lots of time in the Expanded Universe (books) and with the video games/table top stuff.
Episode 3 is my favorite, 6 is my 2nd, and 1 is my 3rd. I just love the characters introduced. Darth Maul and Qui-gon are my favs - sad they didn't make it past the first movie. :(

You should really check out the Machete order of the films. It puts a very unique spin on the way the story is told. Basically, you watch them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI. In this order, you get to work your way up to the big reveal in Empire, then get a long flashback detailing the history of everything that came before. Then, you wrap things up with Jedi. There are lots of reasons why Episode I is left out of the mix, but all the explanations about why this order works so well are fascinating!

I'm pretty sure this is the blog where the suggestion for the Meachete order originally was posted: http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Check it out...really good read!

I did and I found it interesting. I'm such a fan that can remember the dialog on 4, 5, and 6 (even when I can't remember my name). It made sense to me to view them in that particular order.

A belated welcome from me! But I can see you have made yourself quite at home :D

Thanks for the welcome! It's quite easy to get along with like-minded individuals! :)

@AgentPete Thank you for setting up such a wonderful community as a resource for writers. When searching for an agent, it was refreshing to read your page and see that you offered a solution for writers wanting to develop themselves.

Welcome to the Colony. If you're just beginning your search for an agent, I advise you to grow a hide as thick as a rhino's. I devoted the first seven months of this year to making queries to agents and publishers with an open submissions policy. I contacted 150, and have received replies from fifty, of which only three were in any way personalised. Most were just form letters.

The 'agent' who showed the most interest in my work turned out to be a complete fantasist, someone who's never made a sale to a publisher of anyone foolish enough to sign with her.

Top Tip: check agents reputations, client list, likes and dislikes thoroughly before submitting. Use their personal blog, Facebook profile and Twitter activity to find more about them - don't just rely on what's on their literary agency profile.

Use a site such and Preditors & Editors to detect the dodgy agencies: http://pred-ed.com/

Thanks for the welcome! It's quite easy to get along with like-minded individuals! :)

@AgentPete Thank you for setting up such a wonderful community as a resource for writers. When searching for an agent, it was refreshing to read your page and see that you offered a solution for writers wanting to develop themselves.

Three cheers for @AgentPete !
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!
Hip Hip Hooray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Digital Apocalype? Why Print Isn't Dead...

A query about Beta Reader requesting

Back