Reality Check Lying Book Endorsements

Blog Post: Skimming Stones

Inspiration! They, An English Summer Ghost Story

As an editor, I worry about this. I've seen self-published authors take comments from editorial reports and quote them out of context, with the editor's name as though they were endorsements for the whole book. And often the editor hasn't even seen the book in its final published form. But there they are, apparently saying the book is sensitively written with real feeling, or shining with authenticity, whereas actually they were just highlighting one part that worked well so that the writer could apply the same mindset and method elsewhere.

Context is everything! If you have no reason to think the reviews aren't what they seem, you have no reason to doubt.
Brings to mind the Pulitzer winner Trust which we did in book club. I bought it from the endorsements and "Pulitzer!" It was awful. I could find nothing the endorsements promised and the rest of the book club readers agreed. That was when I first wondered.

As an editor, I worry about this. I've seen self-published authors take comments from editorial reports and quote them out of context, with the editor's name as though they were endorsements for the whole book. And often the editor hasn't even seen the book in its final published form. But there they are, apparently saying the book is sensitively written with real feeling, or shining with authenticity, whereas actually they were just highlighting one part that worked well so that the writer could apply the same mindset and method elsewhere.
A dear friend who was a fairly well known literary critic, and a couple colleagues who were movie critics, one day over lunch in the 90s explained that criticism 101 was realizing that any snippet that could be removed from context to look like an endorsement would be removed from context to look like an endorsement.
The practice is sleazy, but impossible to combat, as the words were written, and "Yeah, I wrote it but didn't mean it in that way" isn't a strong legal case.
I can't remember the exact line, and the horrible movie has long since flushed from my brain, but one explained that early in his criticism career, he'd written something along the lines of "If you like idiotic plots, bad acting and dialogue that seems to have been written by five year olds, this might be the movie for you. Hell, it might be the movie of the year."
The national posters for that movie, thereafter, included a 4 word review in a quote, with his name.
Can we guess the four words?
(spoiler warning: "Movie of the year")
Now, back in the day, when the internet was new and mostly useless, he could afford to just be amused and treat that as a lesson for future phrasing. The people who actually knew him had read the review, and knew the context, so his rep was safe in that sense.
John, the literary critic, said that it wasn't as common with books, because there were relationships with publishers and authors, etc, and those mattered. But venturing outside of those you knew and who knew you, it was something to consider and he'd been burned several times.

Maybe you're doing it already, but could you put a warning into the 'terms of your editing service'; something along the lines of no part of the editorial report may be used/quoted/copied/whateverelse anywhere without prior permission?

Dunno how that would stand up legally anywhere, but it MIGHT put some off doing it.

Maybe you're doing it already, but could you put a warning into the 'terms of your editing service'; something along the lines of no part of the editorial report may be used/quoted/copied/whateverelse anywhere without prior permission?

Dunno how that would stand up legally anywhere, but it MIGHT put some off doing it.
Not sure what the damage would be, though. Breaking rules set forth by a private entity isn't illegal

Not sure what the damage would be, though. Breaking rules set forth by a private entity isn't illegal
Agree, but I'm thinking it might tell those who innocently use the feedback as an endorsement, that doing this isn't ok. Some folk don't think.

Could, using Roz's words, be considered a breach of copyright? There might be some comeback that way. I have no clue.

I have! It's in my Ts&Cs and also at the start of my reports!

Agree, but I'm thinking it might tell those who innocently use the feedback as an endorsement, that doing this isn't ok. Some folk don't think.

Could, using Roz's words, be considered a breach of copyright? There might be some comeback that way. I have no clue.
If she copyrights it, it could.

Technically it is a breach of copyright. In the same way that letters are the copyright of the writer, not the person they're written to (beware anyone using letters in a book!). But probably it's hard to enforce, over just a line or two.

I'm deeply dubious about endorsements, including genuine ones. I have no doubt that most of the quotes from fellow authors which are featured on trad published book covers are genuinely meant, BUT I there is an understandably human tendency to exaggerate praise for someone you personally like, or who's given you endorsements or support in the past.

Despite the respect I may have for the quoted authors (assuming I've heard of them!) I know many of them are "bigging up" their mates, either consciously or unconsciously, because they are kind people and they know that authors need support!

However I've read too many mediocre books festooned with passionate endorsements to believe in authors' objectivity when it comes to the people in their circle. People are being sweet, and that's a good thing - but it doesn't necessarily inspire trust in the quality of the book!

I'm deeply dubious about endorsements, including genuine ones. I have no doubt that most of the quotes from fellow authors which are featured on trad published book covers are genuinely meant, BUT I there is an understandably human tendency to exaggerate praise for someone you personally like, or who's given you endorsements or support in the past.

Despite the respect I may have for the quoted authors (assuming I've heard of them!) I know many of them are "bigging up" their mates, either consciously or unconsciously, because they are kind people and they know that authors need support!

However I've read too many mediocre books festooned with passionate endorsements to believe in authors' objectivity when it comes to the people in their circle. People are being sweet, and that's a good thing - but it doesn't necessarily inspire trust in the quality of the book!
And here we come around to the main stumbling block to Pete's idea of constellations. It has to be business based, not a loose circle of friends. More like a neighbourhood association rather than a guild, but the same common interest in property prices not going down.

I've just finished a very mediocre book (should have DNF'd) which started with pages of great endorsements.

Blog Post: Skimming Stones

Inspiration! They, An English Summer Ghost Story

Back