Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

Fantasy as mutually agreed ficiton

Blog Post: Multiple Points-of-View

From Our Blog

Feb 3, 2024
Just posted on SuperStack by Claire G – discussions in this thread, please
---

Sorry!

I’ve been a tad disingenuous with this title because I’m not referring to the act of writing on behalf of others, but rather the literal act of writing about ghosts! Trick, or treat?

Of course, there are many ghost stories, especially in the horror genre, but I’ve selected a few from other genres to list here:

Beloved a former slave is haunted by the child she felt forced to kill

Wuthering Heights – literally a haunting love story

The Graveyard Book – a boy is raised by ghosts (inspired by The Jungle Book)

A Christmas Carol – four ghosts attempt to teach Ebenezer Scrooge the error of his ways

Why Do We Love Ghost Stories?

In terms of horror, well, sometimes it’s fun to be frightened! When we’re scared but not actually in danger, apparently our endorphin levels increase. Ghost stories and horror movies provide that thrill of fear while assuring us of our safety.

But what about when there are ghosts in other genres? Why have the authors chosen to tell their story in this way? What does it allow them to do which can’t be done by sticking to writing about the living?

Perhaps it’s the gravitas that can be achieved by provoking thought about human existence. Perhaps it’s the ‘outsider’ perspective that can be offered. Perhaps it’s because, sometimes, we want to feel melancholy, to have an outlet for our emotions. Or perhaps it’s something else entirely.

Experience

It’s not a spoiler to say that my novel, Daisy Roberts is Dead, is a love story written from the perspective of a ghost. In a way, I found this book easy to write – I love thinking about the ‘big picture’ of life, what’s beautiful about it, what we’d miss if we could no longer experience the joy of it.

On the other hand, writing a character who can’t interact with many of the other characters in the story was a unique challenge. Daisy is largely an observer of events rather than a protagonist with agency. She reacts to what’s going on around her, but can rarely intercede. And believe me, producing 80,000 words of this has its restrictions! I like to think that the novel is saved by Daisy’s interactions with her ghost-friends, but, as always, it’s up to the reader to decide if I’ve been successful.

Final Thoughts

What are your favourite ghost stories (horror or otherwise)?

What is it about these stories that enthrals you?

What are the freedoms and limitations of stories with ghost characters?
---

By @Claire G
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…

Just posted on SuperStack by Claire G – discussions in this thread, please
---

Sorry!

I’ve been a tad disingenuous with this title because I’m not referring to the act of writing on behalf of others, but rather the literal act of writing about ghosts! Trick, or treat?

Of course, there are many ghost stories, especially in the horror genre, but I’ve selected a few from other genres to list here:

Beloved a former slave is haunted by the child she felt forced to kill

Wuthering Heights – literally a haunting love story

The Graveyard Book – a boy is raised by ghosts (inspired by The Jungle Book)

A Christmas Carol – four ghosts attempt to teach Ebenezer Scrooge the error of his ways

Why Do We Love Ghost Stories?

In terms of horror, well, sometimes it’s fun to be frightened! When we’re scared but not actually in danger, apparently our endorphin levels increase. Ghost stories and horror movies provide that thrill of fear while assuring us of our safety.

But what about when there are ghosts in other genres? Why have the authors chosen to tell their story in this way? What does it allow them to do which can’t be done by sticking to writing about the living?

Perhaps it’s the gravitas that can be achieved by provoking thought about human existence. Perhaps it’s the ‘outsider’ perspective that can be offered. Perhaps it’s because, sometimes, we want to feel melancholy, to have an outlet for our emotions. Or perhaps it’s something else entirely.

Experience

It’s not a spoiler to say that my novel, Daisy Roberts is Dead, is a love story written from the perspective of a ghost. In a way, I found this book easy to write – I love thinking about the ‘big picture’ of life, what’s beautiful about it, what we’d miss if we could no longer experience the joy of it.

On the other hand, writing a character who can’t interact with many of the other characters in the story was a unique challenge. Daisy is largely an observer of events rather than a protagonist with agency. She reacts to what’s going on around her, but can rarely intercede. And believe me, producing 80,000 words of this has its restrictions! I like to think that the novel is saved by Daisy’s interactions with her ghost-friends, but, as always, it’s up to the reader to decide if I’ve been successful.

Final Thoughts

What are your favourite ghost stories (horror or otherwise)?

What is it about these stories that enthrals you?

What are the freedoms and limitations of stories with ghost characters?
---

By @Claire G
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…
I wonder if aliens are the new ghosts. A century ago, there were many ghost stories, but very few 'alien' stories. Probably the reverse of that is true today. Are space stories the new supernatural stories?

'A Christmas Carol' has got to be the best ever ghost story.

I wonder if aliens are the new ghosts. A century ago, there were many ghost stories, but very few 'alien' stories. Probably the reverse of that is true today. Are space stories the new supernatural stories?

'A Christmas Carol' has got to be the best ever ghost story.
I try to read A Christmas Carol every year. Good point about aliens!

I try to read A Christmas Carol every year. Good point about aliens!
There's a remake of Aliens coming out. I couldn't even watch the trailer. I would say Aliens are the new dragons.

I just watched Nando Fodor and the Talking Mongoose. I hadn't heard of this before-

Was Hamlet correct? There are things undreamt of in Horatio's philosophy? Or is it all in Hamlet's head?
I think some people are born with some extra bits of brain engineering. Like writers, painters, poets actors who can conjure something from nothing. Spin dross into gold-under the right conditions.

But if you declare that, that is impossible -you make it impossible.

There's a remake of Aliens coming out. I couldn't even watch the trailer. I would say Aliens are the new dragons.

I just watched Nando Fodor and the Talking Mongoose. I hadn't heard of this before-

Was Hamlet correct? There are things undreamt of in Horatio's philosophy? Or is it all in Hamlet's head?
I think some people are born with some extra bits of brain engineering. Like writers, painters, poets actors who can conjure something from nothing. Spin dross into gold-under the right conditions.

But if you declare that, that is impossible -you make it impossible.
but if you declare that...

Impossible?

I'll throw in a another round of praise for A Christmas Carol, and also the ghosts of One Hundred Years of Solitude. In both cases the ghosts are both humorous and frightening, and they represent various psychological states of the living characters. I think that's the thing about them that enthralls – and of course the general hair-raising-ness of the "other". Ghosts allow a writer to explore such things (as do aliens, which I agree are sometimes dragons, of the predatory kind; but aliens are also sometimes "others", with all the attendant threat that such entities pose to culturally insecure folk).

A limitation of ghosts in stories might be that they're generally constrained by the cultural traditions they spring from. I don't know. Maybe that's a strength. What do you think?

I'll throw in a another round of praise for A Christmas Carol, and also the ghosts of One Hundred Years of Solitude. In both cases the ghosts are both humorous and frightening, and they represent various psychological states of the living characters. I think that's the thing about them that enthralls – and of course the general hair-raising-ness of the "other". Ghosts allow a writer to explore such things (as do aliens, which I agree are sometimes dragons, of the predatory kind; but aliens are also sometimes "others", with all the attendant threat that such entities pose to culturally insecure folk).

A limitation of ghosts in stories might be that they're generally constrained by the cultural traditions they spring from. I don't know. Maybe that's a strength. What do you think?
Yes, they are constrained by this, aren't they? On the other hand they can reflect back the problems with a culture/society (and obviously with individuals) as those in A Christmas Carol do. I wonder if a ghost from a different cultural tradition has ever been written which reflects back on modern, western culture?

That would be cool! – something like A Christmas Carol, but for an entire culture. You could have ghostly visitations happening all over the place and a detective-like protagonist who joins the dots and figures out the message the ghosts are sending. Perhaps the protagonist is a cultural mix of Western and wherever the ghosts are from...

Or maybe the ghosts are from a civilization that died out long ago...

Fantasy as mutually agreed ficiton

Blog Post: Multiple Points-of-View

Back